Friday 18 January 2013

Sega Saturn Part II

Hello all and welcome to Retro Gamez UK.

So to recap if you looked at Sega Saturn 1996, I discussed a lot there with the hardware and what was released when it came to life. Well with Part II you be happy to know it is in more depth just for.

The aim of Sega's plan was to compete against the Sony PlayStation, and Nintendo 64 as part of the 5th generation video games console genre. The console in reality looked great, performed well, but was not as huge as it could have been, due to Sega's advertising methods, marketing techniques etc. However here me out I am not slagging off Sega's Saturn console at all, in fact I do like Sega's consoles, I honestly do.

As I mentioned in the PlayStation blog, I compared Wipeout on the SS against PS1, and said that the graphics was not as great, well the other part of this was due to the fact that the console have great hardware in fact it was better for hardware, it was not the console's fault it was mainly the developers that was not able to code for both of the cpu's therefore, they were only using 1x cpu to play around with, shame as if both was in use, this could have been a real flying machine literally it could have over taken the competition and crush the PS1 and even Nintendo's 64.video games console.

It features great games, in fact if you are an arcade gamer then the chances were you loved the machine right? the machine was better at sprites too, so if you happen to be a sprite fan, then you are in luck because this was the machine that could handle that very well. If you take a look at Capcom games, they looked amazing and was faster on the Sega Saturn compared to PS1. However if you compare another game, lets say Destruction Derby (DD1) for Sega Saturn and on PS1, well you see that the graphics were better on PS1, and was smoother again, due to the PS1 game developers knowing the system etc, as I mentioned, it were an easier console to code for. However does this mean that Sony has Sega Rally, nope, can't see that in my library of games anywhere, this was certainly a game to remember and huge fun in the dirt, seeing the wet particles flying around, actually this game was very close to being arcade perfect as they say, I think it was a great conversion and was a great deal of fun, choose between the two cars, Lucia or Supra, hmm I loved both cars in the game, so no preferences there.

The thing about the console was that it managed sprites better than the PS1, the sound chip was amazing too, the loading times were not that bad to be honest, and having in built RAM for saving games was a great way to be happy, and you could buy an expansion pack for saving more games, well I made do with what I had so, didn't need to worry, I was like complete the game and then move on to something else, but now thinking back I could have done with it hehe, ah well good times. Personally it is another favourite in my list of consoles, and if I were to choose between the PS1 and Sega Saturn, I be like hang on I can not do that, I love both, there you go, I love the Saturn for many classic games, that I could continue any time without the need to worry have I got 50p for Virtua Fighter machine on me, nope but I do have the game at home, great!.

However, there is one game that was not made by Sega, and made by Time Warner, and should have the caption "hey, Sega how about this game, we can make it, and make it sound like crap too, it is TW" I am talking about Virtua Racing, c'mon I love this game I do, it threw lots of polygons at you like no other, in fact it had a better release on the mega drive (it's my favorite port) and maybe my 2nd favorite port of Virtua Racing was on Sega 32x, but lets not go there just yet... The sounds on Virtua Racing on the Saturn, well for the music was all messed up, it was not the same, to me it did not feel the same either, it is me or was the game a bit messed up? it is my own opinion, so not trying to slag any game or console off, it just annoyed me that I was looking forward to seeing Virtua Racing being on the Saturn, instead I enjoyed more was Rad Mobile on Saturn (was a Japan only release)

One of the great upgrade to the controller was the 6 button as standard, now that was a great ideal, in fact this was needed for the Mega Drive, that is for sure, no 6 button controller for Street Fighter II, oh that means I need a 6 button to make life easier. I know you could buy one, and I still have my original 3 button instead, don't know why even when the Mega Drive controller packed up, I ended up fixing it again, because I felt that the controller was nice.

So there we have Part II, look out for more, as the Sega Saturn posts shall return again soon.

A huge thank you reading at Retro Gamez UK, hope you enjoyed Part II, and remember to bookmark RGUK please. Thank you, and remember be safe & keep warm!.

Best Wishes,
RGUK


No comments:

Post a Comment